A Powerful Learning Environment
“When schools and teachers set high expectations and develop authentic relationships, then students’ confidence and commitment to education increases and the school’s ethos and culture deepens”. (Professor David Hopkins, 2017)
Indeed, research is increasingly recognising the importance of learning environments that support students’ development as independent learners. In such environments, students trust teachers, teachers trust students, and there is an emphasis on academic outcomes.
What is important about the learning environment in a Montessori school?
A Montessori approach creates a powerful learning environment that support children’s development:
- Student-centred learning is enabled and promoted.
- Supportive, respectful relationships are emphasised.
- Student autonomy is encouraged; independence, freedom and self-discipline are key tenets.
- Academic achievement is promoted through an integrated curriculum that engages students in authentic, challenging, open ended tasks, while specialised hands-on materials support students to move from concrete to abstract thinking.
Last week, students were asked to consider, What gives life to Southern Montessori School? Many students’ responses were mature and thoughtful. They demonstrate that students recognise our school as a powerful learning environment.
All student comments will be on display at the Parent Orientation Evening but here are a few insightful comments from Cycle 3 and Cycle 4.
What is important to you about our school?
- A great education
- This is a one of a kind school
- A good education with friends and learning
- It is a bully free school
- People care about you
- We have good teachers
- People are friendly
- You don’t get bullied
- Challenging special maths
- It teaches independent thinking
- We have more choices in work
- We get to know our teachers and they are interested in us
- Challenging maths
- it is a safe place to learn without all the pressures of being in a big school
- Community spirit
- A peaceful and happy environment to learn in