Food Technology Term 2
In Term 2 in Food Technology the Cycle 1 and 2 classes cooked with produce from the garden. We made Vegetable Fritters with a yoghurt flatbread and a Tzatziki sauce. The students learnt how to peel and grate vegetables such as sweet potato, zucchini and carrot. They also explored different types of bread and were very interested in how different the texture of our yoghurt flatbread was compared to other breads. They described it as soft, silky and delicate. At the end of our cooking sessions the students sit down together and share their meal. It has been wonderful to watch them work together to set the table, share their meal and even do the washing up. All the students have enjoyed either one or both components of the meal. Some even surprising themselves when they tasted the fritters and realised they actually liked them. Each student has been given the recipes to bring home and I have included them below. Our next project will be soups which we are looking forward to.
- 2 Cups Grated Sweet Potato
- 2 Cups Grated Carrot
- 2 Cups Grated Zucchini
- 2 Spring Onion Finely diced
- 2 eggs ( Or Egg Replacer powder 2 teaspoons mixed with 60 mls water)
- 2 cups SR Flour
- 1 – 2 Clove Garlic crushed
- ½ Teaspoon Salt – to taste
- Mix together vegetables and eggs. Add flour and salt. Place large tablespoon of mixture into frypan. Shallow fry until golden brown on both sides. 3 -5 minutes.
- Grate a cucumber and mix with greek yoghurt to make a sauce
- Serve with Greek Yoghurt Cucumber sauce
- 250 g plain full fat Greek Yogurt
- 250 g self raising flour AKA self rising flour
- Mix the Greek yogurt and flour together in a large bowl, then leave to rest for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Divide the dough into small balls.
- Use your hands to gently pat into a flat shape approx. 10 cm diameter.
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan– use a little oil to stop the dough sticking.
- When the pan is hot, lay the flatbread in the pan and cook for 30 seconds, or until the flatbread is golden brown.
- Flip the flatbread over and cook on the other side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Repeat the process, until all the flatbreads are cooked.
Serve with Greek Yoghurt Cucumber Sauce or Tzatziki.
You can make these to any size you want.